Indoor Youth Tennis Clinics at Dunn's Corners Gym
We are excited to bring back Indoor Tennis after a long hiatus! We are pleased to announce that Coach Greg Ferraro, Westerly High School, will be our new Westerly Recreation Tennis Lead Instructor!
January 9, 23 & 30
February 6, 13 & 27
DUNN'S CORNERS GYM
8 1/2 Plateau Rd, Westerly, RI 02891
10 and Under 5:15PM to 6:15PM
11 to 14 6:30PM to 7:30PM
15 to 18 7:45PM to 8:45PM
Please bring a racquet if you have one. Water bottles are strongly recommended. Athletic clothes and sneakers are required for lessons.
Coaches Credentials and Contact Information
Coach: Greg Ferraro, Contact: 401.622.8313
· Westerly High School Assistant Tennis Coach Boys and Girls
· National Federation H.S – Accredited Interscholastic Coach
· Professional Tennis Registry (PTR) Certified Coach Ages 11-17
Introduction to Tennis and Athletics Goals:
· Introduction to basics of Tennis – Racquet Handling, Stroke Technique, Shot Making
· Improve Athleticism (ABCSS) – Agility, Balance, Coordination, Speed and Strength
· Promote Sportsmanship – Respect to Coaches, Players, Collaboration, Teamwork
· FUN!!! – Laughing and Smiles encouraged
Approach (Format may be modified based on skill level of participants)
Clinics will be separated into 3 levels generally based on age and capability.
Clinics will be 60 minutes long and generally will follow the format:
· 10 Minute Warm up
· 15 Minute Athletic Training
· 25 Minute Tennis Training – This can include Tennis Technique, Drills and Games
· 10 Minute Cool Down
Message from the Coach:
Welcome to the Westerly Recreation Departments Tennis Program. I am excited to instruct your children on Tennis and Athleticism. Tennis is a lifetime sport that has many physical and emotional benefits. Studies show that Tennis players are fitter, have strong social networks, and actually live longer! These clinics will focus on developing both proper Tennis techniques and overall Athletic (ABCSS) skills. Good Tennis technique is critical to becoming an accomplished player. This takes a lot of stroke repetition to build muscle memory. Our goal is for proper technique to become second nature for your child. We also want to develop pure athletic capabilities. It starts with the basics, so there will be an emphasis on Running, Catching, Throwing, developing Hand to Eye Coordination. These skills are essential for any sport, including Tennis. Parents can support their child’s tennis and athletic growth by continuing their training at home. I will provide some family activities that are fun, easy to do, and will continue to grow your child skill sets. Again, welcome and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.